Briefing ID #: 5161
ALL EMPLOYEES: ITS - New Revision of the M-DCPS Network Security
On October 24, 2008, the Superintendent
released the latest revision of the Network Security Standards. This
revision supersedes the previous version, released in 2005.
- This document provides the standards which
all District computer users must follow when utilizing any part of the
M-DCPS computer system.
- The Standards are now organized into
sections that group similar items for greater clarity and ease of
- The Superintendent's cover memo highlights
some of the technical changes. These changes include the
- Computers with older operating Windows
Operating Systems are prohibited from being connected to the network
because of the security threat they pose.
- A section that limits how many staff
members can have access to specific, sensitive authorizations has been
- Confidential data kept on laptops, jump
drives, and other removable media must be encrypted in case the device
is lost or stolen.
- Apple iPhones can be connected as long as
the device has the latest firmware version (2.0 or higher) and
specific settings are implemented.
- The requirements for the District's new
Power Management initiative to cut costs are included.
- A link to the Office of Management and
Compliance Audits' Web page is provided.
- Links within the document have been
updated to reflect the latest Board rules that relate to computer
- Site supervisors should review this document
with their technician(s). In addition, sections 5.0 Staff Security
Responsibilities and 5.1 User-ids and Passwords, contain information
that all District users should know. Site supervisors should make this
information available to their staff.
- The Network Security Standards can be found
- Should you have any questions regarding this document, an ITS
representative will be happy to call and assist. Just fill out and
submit a HEAT Self Service ticket at;
||Support Services ( 305-995-3705 ) |